(9) Using the non-metallic tuning wand, adjust
(1) Disconnect the collapsed long handle from the
short handle. Slide this unit along the cable at least 2.5
the variometer control (A-2 module) (see figure 5-5) to
feet away from the detector head (placement near the
obtain a null (minimum AC millivolts) as indicated on
the RMS meter. Reduce meter sensitivity as necessary
to achieve the lowest meter reading.
(2) Place detector head on the phasing fixture
(3) Position the short handle on the detector head
The initial measurement values (step 10 and
to an angle of 46 degrees with the horizontal.
step 11) will vary from detector to detector. The
number of measurements/adjustment steps will
vary from detector to detector and will depend
connect the RMS Voltmeter to point E4 and E16 (see
upon the right/left balance point. The end result
of the balance between the right (step 10) and the
left (step 11) are important factors, not the nu-
merical values obtained.
(5) Adjust the "R" control (ten turn potentiometer)
to the center of its rotation (five turns from either end
of its rotation) and align the index marks.
(10) Place the magnetite tube on the right side of
the phasing fixture, (right side is identified by the
"white dot" on the detector head). Record the reading
(6) Adjust the "X" control (one turn potentiometer)
to the center of its rotation and align the index marks.
indicated on the meter.
(11) Place the magnetite tube on the left side of
(7) Insure that the magnetite tube is not posi-
the phasing fixture. Record the RMS meter reading.
(12) Subtract the lesser meter reading from the
(8) Turn the detector on and set the selector
switch to the intermediate (INT) position. The RMS
larger one (step 10& step 11) and divide the result by
meter will read up scale. Adjust the meter sensitivity
for a mid-scale reading.
(13) Place the magnetite tube on the right side.