AREA CONCEPT TESTING
AREA CONCEPT TESTING provides for the evaluation of a site by use of several readings on the site to give a larger
representative sample than a single test would give. The average of the several readings is used to approve or disapprove
the site quality. It is desirable to select the reading locations at random to maintain the objectivity of the statistical
The following RANDOM SAMPLE CARDS provide this objectivity in selection. They were produced by a random computer
plot, different for each card.
1. Select a card from a shuffled deck. Visualize the card as a map of the project to be tested.
2. Use the average of five readings to pass or fail. Select High, Low, Even, or Odd. This will select which five
combinations out of the ten spots on the card are to be used.
3. Identify the exact reading site by location data using the card as the guide. Then go to the five locations and take
a nuclear tester reading at each site, using backscatter or transmission as required.
4. Average the five readings and pass or fail the site.
5. Should differences in soil characteristics be suspected, take a shovelful of soil from each site and prepare a
composite Proctor for optimum value preparation.
NONBIASED SAMPLE CARD #1
NONBIASED SAMPLE CARD #2
Non-Biased Random Sample Cards 1 and 2