b. A busy workday can result in as many as 30
measurements. A busy workweek could result in 5 days
of extensive measurements.
Always wear your beta-gamma badge or TLD
badge when operating the tester and upon
(1) Even with extensive use, the dose to be
entering tester storage areas, and at other times
expected from a properly operating and used tester is
as directed by the Local Radiation Protection
only 1/400 of the maximum allowed dose.
(2) Thirty (30) measurements per day times
10 seconds per measurement equals 300 seconds or 5
minutes per day of exposure at 2 feet from the tester.
There is no danger to the Army Community and
the general public when the tester is used,
(3) Five (5) days times 5 minutes equals 25
transported, stored, serviced and leak tested
minutes, rounded off to 30 minutes.
according to Section IV of this manual. Normal
radiation exposure from a properly operating
(4) One-half hour times 1/2 mrem/hr equals
tester is far less than the maximum allowed
only 1/4 mrem exposure during a busy workweek.
dosage of 1.25 rem per calendar quarter, on an
accumulated calendar year dosage of 5 rem.
(5) Operators are allowed an average weekly
dosage of 100 mrem.
2-1. GOOD RADIATION PRACTICES
(6) Keep the curious away when you are on
a. Always keep in mind how close you are to the
the job, but don't frighten people by making it a big thing.
tester when it is operating. Distance from the tester is
your best precaution.
(7) Always place the handle in the SAFE
position when the tester is not in use.
(1) At any given distance, no matter how far
or how close to the tester, when that distance is doubled
(8) Store the tester under lock and key when
going away from the tester, radiation exposure gets four
not in use.
Only radiation protection officers and
operators shall have access to tester and carrying case
(2) At any given distance, no matter how far
or how close to the tester, when that distance is cut in
(9) Make it a habit to routinely wear your
half going toward the tester, radiation gets four times
betagamma film badge or TLD badge. Store the badge
at an approved location.
(3) Always stand at least 5 feet away from the
(10) Do not intentionally expose the Cs 137
tester when it is operating.
source to air by extending it out of the tester in the 2, 4, 6
or 8-inch transmission positions. Do not withdraw the
(4) Complete taking measurements as quickly
source from the measurement site before returning the
handle from the SAFE position.
(5) You are authorized to carry the tester only
Work fast and keep proper distance
by its handle or in its carrying case. In either instance,
from the tester.
the handle must be locked in the SAFE position.